AUTUMN MORNING APPLES AND PEARS PORRIDGE
Recipe by Timberyard’s Darren Elliott
Timberyard’s autumn morning apples and pears porridge answered all our prayers. Head Chef and creator Darren Elliott whipped up a creamy, coconut, delight that wowed the crowd. Lashings of toppings made this bowl a magnet for your spoon. Spurtles out, spoons at the ready, get going.
Ingredients (serves 6):
For the porridge:
For the compote:
- 6 apples
- 6 pears
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp almond butter
For the topping:
- 3 cups toasted coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- A handful of pecan nuts
- A spoonful of coconut cream
- Soak oats overnight in 50ml of water and 50ml coconut milk.
- The following morning, gently heat the soaked oats in the leftover liquid, stirring continuously until cooked to your liking.
- In a separate pan, sauté the apples and pears in almond butter, coconut sugar and the spices.
- Top the porridge with the warm sautéed apple and pear mixture, as well as coconut flakes, sliced almonds, chopped pecans and a swirl of coconut cream.