First Hand Experiences love a good old soaked oat bowl. They provide slow release energy and keep bellies full until lunch; making perfect fuel for a morning playing in the forest. They are also a great source of plant-based protein and fibre. Soaked oats are simple to make and can keep for a few days in the fridge. For this recipe, we’ve added a tropical flair to Rude Health’s Banana Berry Oats with toasted coconut, banana, lime and every kid’s favourite, mango. If you don’t have time to soak these overnight, not to worry, a few minutes and few good stirs will do. Top with yogurt, extra mango and toasted coconut to start the morning with a bang.
20g chia seeds whole or ground
3 mangos, chopped, save some for garnishing
2 bananas, mashed
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
A squeeze of honey
50g toasted coconut flakes (you can buy these toasted or toast your own), plus extra for garnishing
Greek or Coconut yogurt for topping
- Combine the oats, milk and chia seeds. Stir and set aside while you chop the mango.
- Toss in the raisins, mango and banana and stir to combine.
- Next add the lime zest and honey. Set aside for 15-20 minutes until the oats thicken to a porridge-like consistency.
- Finally stir in the coconut flakes.
- Serve with a good dollop of yogurt and top with extra mango and toasted coconut flakes.