Meet Bill Collison. Bill is the brainchild behind the nationwide Bill’s Restaurants chain. Bill’s aim is to serve accessible good quality food, in a space where people always want to come back to. Safe to say he succeeded. Bill’s baked apple, cinnamon & sultana porridge with blackberry ripple whipped yoghurt, roasted crab apples and salted toffee apple crisps was a decadent, indulgent delight. Bill was too.
3 cups of Rude Health Daily Oats
1 1/2 cups of Rude Health The Oatmeal
2 cups full fat milk
1 generous pinch of sea salt
3 large Bramley apples
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar
Whipped blackberry yoghurt:
2 punnets of blackberries
1 cup double cream
1 cup of yoghurt
2 tbsp blackberry puree
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts
1 generous tbsp butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 apple, peeled and cored
- Add the oats, oatmeal, spelt flakes & salt to a pan with 1 cup of water & 1 cup of full fat milk. Stir to combine and slowly add the 2nd cup of milk (you may need extra milk to create a creamy texture).
- To make the apple puree, peel and core the Bramley apples, put into a pan with half a cup of water, cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir to combine and heat over a medium heat until the apples are cooked and fluffy (watch carefully to ensure the apples don’t catch and burn).
- To make the whipped blackberry ripple yoghurt, gently simmer the blackberries until cooked and allow to cool slightly and then sieve to create a bowl of puree. Cool completely. In a large bowl whip the double cream until stiff, fold in the yoghurt.
- For the hazelnut crumble, put all the ingredients into a pan and heat slowly to combine. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet & cook in a medium oven for 20 mins, though do keep an eye on it as it can easily catch fire! Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- For the toffee apple crisps: slice the apple thinly and bake in a low oven for 2 hrs.
- Divide the porridge between 3 bowls, layer on the apple compote, gently fold a tbsp of the blackberry puree through the yoghurt cream mix, don’t over blend.
- Gently pile this on to the apple compote.
- Sprinkle on the Hazelnut crumble.
- Brush the apple crisps with maple syrup, sprinkle on a little sea salt & stick these on top.
- Drizzle over the remaining blackberry puree to finish.