BLACK BARLEY & WHITE MISO PORRIDGE WITH CULTURED CASHEW CHEESE, KIMCHI & EGG
Recipe by High Mood Food
If there was ever a porridge to take to a party it would be this one. Black barley, miso, kimchi, and cultured cashew cheese. A labour of fermented love but worth. the. wait.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the porridge:
- 50g Sprouted black barley
- 50g Rude Health Porridge Oats
- 2 tbsp White miso paste
- 2 cup Rude Health Cashew Drink
- Kimchi (to make your own see below)
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp Sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp Seasame seds
- 2 tsp Honey
- 2 soft-boiled eggs
- Sprouted alfalfa
- Cultured cashew cheese (to make your own see below)
For the kimchi (makes ½ litre):
- ½ a nappa cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 100g daikon, chopped into matchsticks
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
For the cultured cashew cheese:
- 1 cup activated cashews, soaked
- 2 tbsp sauerkraut brine
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- To make the cultured cashew cheese, soak your nuts in water for 6-8 hours and then rinse them.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, brine, salt and yeast and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to your nut milk bag or cheesecloth and dehydrate on low for 24 hours or set on your counter for 36 hours.
- Transfer to a sheet of baking paper and roll into a log shape. Store in your fridge to age for 4-6 days wrapped in plastic wrap or sealed in an airtight container.
- Once it’s ready, transfer to a fresh sheet of parchment and enjoy within 4-5 days.
- To make the kimchi, add the cabbage to salty water in a large bowl or pot. Weight down the cabbage with a large plate so that all leaves are submerged and soak for 5 or 6 hours.
- Remove the cabbage and rinse in cold water, squeezing out excess liquid.
- In another large bowl, add the cabbage, garlic, ginger, carrots, spring onions, daikon, chilli powder, fish sauce and shrimp paste and mix well.
- Pack the mixture in to a large airtight jar with a lid and let the kimchi ferment in a cool place for 3-5 days before serving or putting in the refrigerator.
- To make the porridge base, combine the black barley, Rude Health oats and miso with Rude Health Cashew Drink in a small pot and simmer on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until the oats have soaked up all of the liquid.
- While your porridge is cooking, mix the pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds in the honey and lightly toast them in a frying pan for a few minutes. Then remove them from the heat.
- In a separate pan, boil the eggs for 6 minutes for soft-boiled or longer until it is cooked to your liking. Remove them from the pan, wait until they have cooled and then peel and halve the eggs.
- Top the porridge with the toasted seeds, the boiled egg, a big spoonful of kimchi, a handful of sprouted alfalfa and a slice of cultured cashew cheese and serve.