This fabulous Coffee, Walnut and Banana Porridge recipe was kindly given to us by Tristan Plowman to support the Rude Health Porridge Championships.
200g porridge oats
3 shots espresso
Handful of organic walnuts in pieces plus 12 whole walnuts
Large handful of organic chopped dates plus 8 dates halved
Half a ripe banana, thinly sliced
1 pint of organic whole milk
Organic double cream
Maldon Sea salt flakes
1. Soak the oats and chopped dates, with a teaspoon of cinnamon, overnight in the milk and most of the espresso (2 shots)
2. Completely cover oats in water and bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes
3. If porridge thickens too quickly add more water as required
Meanwhile gently toast the whole walnuts and pieces in a dry pan
4. Just before serving, mix toasted walnut pieces through porridge allowing a minute to warm through
5. Season with salt to taste
6. Serve by ladling porridge into four bowls topped with slices of banana, halved dates, whole walnuts, a drizzle of cream, a few drops of espresso and a pinch of cinnamon.