75g mix of medium-grade oatmeal and pinhead oatmeal
75g mix of porridge oat flakes and jumbo oat flakes
450ml Guernsey or non-homogenised milk, preferably raw, or a mixture of milk and water
Pinch of ground cinnamon (to taste)
1 tablespoon apple powder or (as it’s not easy to find) dehydrate some fresh apple and grind
A handful of freshly chopped dates
A handful of freshly chopped dried apples
A handful of freshly chopped apricots
Guernsey cream, or raw, or clotted
Coconut palm sugar (optional)
1. Combine the oatmeal and oat flakes mixtures.
2. Heat the milk, or milk and water, in your favourite porridge pan. Add the oatmeal flakes and start to stir with your spurtle.
3. Add the cinnamon and apple powder, and most of the chopped fruits- save some to sprinkle on the top of each bowl.
4. Simmer for as long as as necessary until just right- usually about 4-6 minutes. Add extra milk or water if it is needed it should be thick and creamy but pourable.
5. Serve, sprinkling some of the reserved dried fruits on top, before pouring over, generously, as much cream as you like. Further sweeten with a shaking of coconut palm sugar, if you wish.
If you want to appreciate the cream cold with the hot porridge, serve the cream on the side in its own bowl. Dip your spoon into the hot porridge and then into the cream, hot and cold, cream and oats… a heavenly combination.