A Jamaican gingerbread inspired porridge with a warming spice blend and a mixture of rolled porridge oats and jumbo oats. This porridge is topped with fried bananas, toasted walnuts, stem ginger pieces, a generous heap of clotted cream and a slug of spiced ginger syrup for added indulgence.
3 tsp ginger
Large pinch nutmeg
Large pinch cinnamon
3 tsp date syrup
3 tsp coconut palm sugar
750ml whole milk
Pinch sea salt
2 tbsp Cockspur Old Gold Rum or another dark rum
4 tbsp coconut palm sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
4 tbsp water
½ tsp ginger
Knob of unsalted butter
Handful toasted walnuts
3 tsps stem ginger, cubed
- For the syrup, combine 4tbsp coconut palm sugar, 1 tbsp golden syrup, 4 tbsp water, 1/2 a tsp ginger and a pinch of both cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepan. Gently warm on a low heat to form a syrup.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and leave to cool slightly for 1 minute. Pour into a small bowl and add 2 tbsp rum, stir into the syrup.
- Combine the Daily Oats, milk, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut palm sugar, date syrup and sea salt in a sauce pan. Gently bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer over a low heat stirring occasionally.
- Melt a knob of unsalted butter in a small frying pan, slice three bananas in half lengthways and place in the frying pan.
- Turn the bananas after 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once the porridge mixture has reached your desired consistency (after roughly 3-5 minutes) remove from the heat and serve into three bowls.
- Place two banana slices on top of each porridge, then sprinkle with stem ginger and walnuts. Add a generous teaspoonful of clotted cream on top each porridge, then pour over a tablespoon of spiced rum syrup and serve. Enjoy.