A recipe kindly contributed by Tiago of The Healthy Beard. If this doesn’t get you into the Christmas spirit then we don’t know what will. A quick and easy Christmas treat, this recipe is a twist on the traditional chocolate log with some exciting new flavours and ingredients.
For the cake:
- 2 flax egg – 2 tbsp ground linseeds with 6 tbsp of water soaked for approximately 15 minutes
- 3 cups Rude Health Sprouted Oats blended into flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chai tea
- 1/4 cup Rude Health Coconut Drink
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
For the ganache:
- 150g soaked raw cashew nuts (soaked for approximately 4 hours or overnight)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, add the chai tea, flax-egg, coconut milk and melted coconut oil and mix together to form the cake batter.
- Use a large rectangular baking tray (mine is 33cm x 22.9cm) lined with greaseproof paper – transfer the cake batter into the tray and bake for approximately 15-18 minutes.
- Prepare the spiced ganache by adding all the ingredients into a powerful blender or food processor, blend until you achieve a thick creamy ganache (if too thick, add extra coconut milk)
- Place a tea towel flat into a dry kitchen surface and place the cake on top of the tea towel with the greaseproof paper (the cake should face you and the greaseproof paper on top of the tea towel), add a thick layer of the ganache and hold both of the edges of the tea towel and greaseproof paper and roll the cake tightly to form the log.
- Leave aside for approximately 15 minutes then remove the tea towel and grease proof paper.
- Using the left over ganache, spread it evenly on the outside on the log – use a fork to create a wood texture on the log.