It’s hard not to love crispy and chewy treats, especially healthy ones like these.
Chewy, crunchy, delicious. This ingenious homemade cereal bar recipe created by Tina Jui, is made from our toasty, nutty, and light Puffed Oats. That’s right, we puff our oats. Each and every one of these pure puffs is the grain, and nothing but the grain. Thanks to our top secret popping method, the sensation is oaty and floaty, while the fibre is kept intact. Once combined with a few seeds, fruits and nuts, these humble oats become a perfectly healthy and convenient snack, or breakfast bar for when you’re on the go. No need to bake.
- Line an 8×8-inch (20×20-cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Add the dates into a food processor and run the food processor until the dates are well chopped. The dates might form a large ball in the process. If so, stop the food processor and break apart the ball to make sure there aren’t any large pieces of dates remaining. Do not overheat your food processor and stop to rest it as needed.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, stir together the almond butter and honey. Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds. Remove it from the microwave and give it another quick stir. Microwave the mixture for another 10 seconds, or until the mixture is warm and runny.
- In a large bowl, add in the dates, almond butter and honey mixture, puffed oats, almonds, pecans, sesame seeds, and sour cherries (this is everything except for the white chocolate chips), and mix well. I started mixing with a spatula, but finished mixing it with my hands and fingers to make sure there were no clumps of dates. Get ready for an arm workout!
- Add in the white chocolate chips and mix again. You want to add in the white chocolate chips last to make sure they don’t all melt in the mixing process. A little bit of melting is perfectly fine (and beautiful)!
- Using a small piece of parchment paper to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands, press everything evenly into the pan.
- Freeze the pan for 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer and cut into pieces.
- Store the granola bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.