The Rude Health Porridge Champion for 2016
Native Restaurant (http://www.eatnative.co.uk/)
Native restaurant provides an eating experience like no other. Their food encapsulates the country’s best wild food native to the UK. Their Meadowsweet porridge was no exception. Made with Oat and Rye Flakes, Meadowsweet, Amaranth, Fennel, Salt, Pumpkin Seeds, Cream, Foraged Crab Apples, Red Shiso and Kentish Wood Ants – it ticked every box, twice. Signe was particularly impressed with the ‘Tartness’ of the bowl. Must have been the ants.
Native’s Meadowsweet Porridge with Crab Apple Compote and Kentish Wood Ants
500ml whole milk
250g double cream
1 pinch of Meadowsweet (if you can’t find meadowsweet, Native suggest substituting the whole milk for Rude Health’s Almond Drink to add some sweetness)
1 vanilla pod
- Add the milk and cream to a pan with the meadowsweet and the vanilla pod with the seeds scraped out. Bring to a simmer and then allow to infuse for 2 or so hours
15g toasted pumpkin seeds
25g toasted almonds
- Toast in a hot pan, moving around every now and again to prevent burning. Take off the heat when they turn a nice golden brown colour
175g of Rude Health The Oatmeal
75g of Rude Health Daily Oats
75g of rye flakes
50g brown sugar
1 pinch of sea salt
- Make the porridge to your liking with the Meadowsweet liquid, then finish by stirring the seeds and nuts through the porridge.
Crab Apple Compote
500g crab apples
300g caster sugar
Water to cover
1 tsp fennel seeds
- Wash the crab apples and put into a pot with the sugar and water. Boil, then simmer till the apples have broken down. Strain away the excess liquid, then pass the apples through a sieve, adding more liquid if too dry.
½ tsp of Kentish wood ants (or fresh lemon peel)
1 pieces of Fennel Seed and Hazelnut Praline
Fennel Seed Praline
80g of sugar
20ml of water
10g of fennel seeds
75g crushed almonds
- Simmer the water, sugar and fennel seeds to 116c into a light caramel. Lay the hazelnuts out on a tray and pour the hot sugar mixture over the nuts. Leave to cool, break into pieces)
Plate up your porridge mixture and garnish with the praline, compote, fennel leaves and optional ants.