This porridge was the entry from Carl White of Nopi, Ottolenghi’s Soho-based restaurant. In true Nopi style, Carl’s Middle Eastern Miso Butterscotch porridge celebrated bold flavours, innovative ingredients and won third place overall. Garnished with mango, apple, pomegranate seeds and coconut shavings – it tasted as stunning as it looked.
- 150g white miso paste, at room temperature
- 50ml mirin
- 30g light brown sugar
- 2tsp sherry vinegar
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eating apple coarsely grated
- 100g Rude Health Daily Oats
- 50g mixed seeds (such as sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and linseed)
- 25g mixed nuts (such as walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds and cashews)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g coconut milk
- 200ml cold water
For the garnish
- 40g mango peel cut into large cubes
- 40g apple peel cut into large cubes
- 40g pomegranate seeds
- 20g toasted coconut shavings
- 30g mixed nuts (such as walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds and cashews)
- Baby basil
To finish the porridge
- 200g coconut milk
- 140g light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160’c / gas mark 3
- First make the miso butterscotch using a rubber spatula to spread the miso paste out thinly and evenly on a parchment-lined baking tray. Place the tray in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes until the miso has turned to a dark caramel, where the sides look burnt and the middle a dark golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Scrape the burnt miso paste off the parchment paper, breaking it as you go, and transfer the pieces to a food processor, along with the mirin, sugar, vinegar, butter and I tablespoon of water. Blitz well for 5 minutes to form a smooth aerated paste.
- To make the bircher, put together the porridge oats, mixed seeds, half of the mixed nuts, cinnamon and the grated apple into a mixing bowl. Add 200ml of both coconut milk and cold water, mix well, then put into a sealed container and leave for 2 hours or overnight.
- Put the other 200g of coconut milk, light brown sugar and 40g of the miso butterscotch into a pan to warm through then add your Bircher. Stir for 3-4 minutes on a medium heat until it’s nice and creamy.
- Spoon the porridge into 3 bowls. Divide the mango, apple, pomegranate seeds, toasted coconut shavings and the rest of the mixed nuts into each bowl and garnish with the baby basil.