Savoury porridge may sound unusual, but this chestnut mushroom & caramelised onion porridge recipe is delicious – think oaty mushroom risotto. Created by the chefs at Gousto, a recipe box company delivering fresh, organic ingredients for healthy meals.
180g Rude Health Daily Oats
1 brown onion
30g grated parmesan
150g chestnut mushrooms
1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
5g fresh thyme
½ veg stock cube
A pinch of salt and pepper
15g (1 tbsp) of butter and a dash (1/2 tbsp) of olive oil
1. Cook the oats in 360ml of water, stirring occasionally to avoid burning the bottom, set aside once done.
2. Peel and chop the onion into thin half moon slices. Heat the butter and olive oil on a non stick pan on a medium-low heat. Once the butter is foaming and sizzling, add the onion, cook for 3-4 min or until starting to brown.
3. Strip the thyme leaves from the stalks and slice the mushroom into thin slices. Add the thyme and mushroom to the pan, spread the vegetables on the bottom of the pan in order to caramelise and cook for 5-10 min, or until the mushroom is cooked.
4. Dissolve the stock cube with 120ml hot water and add to the mushroom-onion pan. Cook for 5 min on a high heat until the stock is fully absorbed.
5. Remove the pan from heat and add white wine vinegar and parmesan. Stir through to combine and serve with the cooked porridge.