GACHAS DE ESTILO PERUANO (PERUVIAN STYLE PORRIDGE)
Recipe by Leith’s Alumni Candidate: Susie Morrison
Susie Morrison pulled out all the stops with her Peruvian Style Porridge made with spiced coconut porridge as a base and topped with a mango and sweet potato ceviche, manjar blanco, candied cashews and dehydrated mango. No surprise she bagged herself the critics’ choice vote. We’re on the next plane to Peru. Spurtle packed.
For the Manjar Blanco:
- 200ml Single Cream
- 200ml Condensed Milk
- 5cm Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Cloves
- 1tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
For the Candied Cashews:
- 100g Cashew Nuts
- 150g Granulated Sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 Lime, Zested
- 100ml water
For the Spiced Coconut Porridge:
- 300g 5 Grain 5 Seed Porridge
- 1500ml Coconut Milk
- 3tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 6tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 6tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- 1tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch Salt
For the Mango & Sweet Potato Ceviche:
- ¾ Mango, Brunoise
- ¾ Cooked Sweet Potato, Brunoise
For the Panthers Milk:
- 3tbsp Pisco
- 3tbsp Lime Juice
- 5cm Green Chilli, Frozen & Finely Grated
- 5cm Red Chilli, Frozen & Finely Grated
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Squeeze of Mango Juice
For the Dehydrated Mango Crisps:
- ¼ Mango Thinly Sliced
- The day before serving, combine ingredients for Manjar Blanco in a small pan. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, stirring often for 2-3 hours until thick and caramelised. Taste and adjust the spicing to your liking then leave to cool and refrigerate.
- For the lime, place 100g of sugar in a pan with water and bring to the boil.
- Whilst this is heating, pour a kettle of water over the lime zest and soak for 30 seconds. Drain, refresh in cold water, and repeat (this will remove any bitterness).
- Boil the zest in the sugar syrup for 5 minutes, drain, sprinkle with sugar and leave to set on a rack. Once set, store in an airtight jar.
- For the cashews, place the sugar in a wide pan over a medium heat to dissolve the sugar. Swirl the pan but do not stir. Once the sugar is bubbling, leave to turn amber in colour and add the cashews. Swirl to coat and pour onto baking parchment. Leave to set and break up when cool. Store in an airtight jar.
- Mix all the porridge ingredients in a large pan and soak for 10 minutes.
- Place pan on a medium heat and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes until the oats are tender but maintain a bit of bite (top the oats up with water if they become too thick).
- Meanwhile mix the ingredients for the panthers milk in a bowl and use to marinade the ceviche ingredients for 10 minutes.
- Once the porridge is ready, serve, topped with ceviche (draining off some of the panthers milk before serving), Manjar Blanco, candied cashews and lime zest, and mango crisps.