Recipe by Instagram winner: Rebecca Marcone
Rebecca might not be whisking up meals for hungry restaurant guests every night, but her victory in our prestigious social media Porridge Competition earned her the right to compete yet again. She produced an oatally delicious cheeseboard porridge topped with balsamic vinegar, fresh basil leaves, goat’s curd and maple syrup. She went above and beyond. Watch out, London.
Makes 6 bowls
- 1 large handful of almonds (or pecans)
- 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 6 medium sized plums
- 50g dark muscovado sugar
- 150 ml water
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 50g muscovado sugar
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- A couple of seedy crackers
- A spoonful of goat’s curd
- A splash of maple syrup
- For the nuts, toast almonds in a pan over a medium heat for a minute. Add the sugar and stir until completely melted making sure they are evenly coated. Transfer onto a plate and separate before they get too sticky. Place aside.
- Next, cut plums into wedges. Place in a pan over a high heat with the sugar and water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and let the plums simmer for 5 minutes, until they are soft.
- In the meantime, place the oats, milk, water and salt in a pan and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly until smooth and creamy. Add liquid if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Finally, pour porridge into a bowl and add the stewed plums, caramelised almonds, goat’s curd, basil leaves, cracker pieces and a drizzle of balsamic glaze to finish. Add a few drops of maple syrup for added sweetness.