Modern Baker is a renowned organic bakery in Oxford, baking a range of breads and cakes using only traditional grains, sourdoughs and natural sugars. We loved their innovative sourdough rye, cacao and orange porridge. Move aside Terry.
1 carton Rude Health Hazelnut Drink
3 oranges, zested and juiced
150g hazelnuts, chopped
Maple syrup to taste
1 bottle bio-tiful organic milk kefir
For the Rye
200g organic rye sourdough (stale is absolutely fine!)
2 tablespoons cacao powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Pinch of salt
- The night before – Mix the maple syrup and cacao with 300mls water. Pour over the rye bread and leave to soak overnight.
- When you are ready to make you porridge, blend the rye into a paste, add some hazelnut drink to loosen if your blender sticks.
- In a saucepan mix the rye paste with the oats and add 500mls of hazelnut drink. Put onto a low heat and stir until it begins to thicken. Add more hazelnut if needed.
- Once the porridge is at your desired consistency, turn the heat right down and add 100mls orange juice.
- Test for sweetness, and add maple syrup to taste. Take off the heat.
- Stir through the chopped hazelnuts and orange zest, leaving some to top.
- Put into bowls, drizzle over some kefir, scatter some chopped figs or any fruit you like and sprinkle over the remaining hazelnuts and zest.