Just when we think we’ve nailed the best ever waffle recipe – our ambassador Tina pulls this blood orange whipped butter version out of the waffle maker.
As such, we present to you, the Sprouted Buckwheat Waffle 2.0.
1 cup (140g) Sprouted Buckwheat flour
1 tablespoon (10g) coconut palm sugar
1¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1¼ cup (300g) buttermilk, shaken
¼ cup (55g) unrefined coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the sprouted buckwheat flour, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon (if using).
- In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the buttermilk and coconut oil. The coconut oil might harden once mixed with the buttermilk, if the buttermilk is cold. That’s okay, but make sure there are no large chunks of coconut oil.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture and stir together until incorporated. Do not over mix, and a few small lumps are fine.
- Pour or scoop the the mixture into a hot waffle iron (I used a ½ cup measuring cup for each waffle, but waffle makers vary). Cook waffles until golden brown and cooked through. See notes below on how to determine when a waffle is done.
Get Tina’s Blood Orange Whipped Butter recipe here.