Maple and Fitz (https://mapleandfitz.com/)
Healthy cafe and juice bar in the heart of Fitzrovia. Using the best organic, locally sourced ingredients Adria puts a zing into healthy food. Out with the bowl, in with the pumkin. We loved Maple and Fitz taking seasonal to the next level with their autumnal pumpkin, maple and turmeric porridge. Innovation in a pumpkin.
Turmeric, Maple & Pumpkin Porridge
3 small culinary pumpkins (optional: 2 for serving, 1 for puree)
120g Rude Health Daily Oats, toasted
50g pumpkin seeds, toasted, plus extra for garnish (optional: use seeds from pumpkin and toast)
1 pinch flaked sea salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch cardamom
700-900 ml water
10g fresh turmeric, grated (or 1/4 tsp dried turmeric)
2 tsp maple syrup
1-2 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
2 pinches flaked sea salt
2 tbsp dried cranberries 1 red apple, sliced
1 whole fennel bulb 125ml olive oil
1/4 tsp flaked sea salt
1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Cut an opening in the pumpkin along the top and spoon out the seeds. Roast the pumpkin whole on a baking tray for 12-15 mins until cooked through. Keep 2 for serving. Spoon the cooked flesh from last pumpkin and puree using hand blender. Set aside.
- Toast oats and pumpkin seeds on a wide pan on medium high heat for 5 mins stirring continuously then for another 1 minute with salt and spices.
- Add water, turmeric, maple syrup, salt and thyme. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and slowly simmer for 10-20 mins until oats are creamy, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan (add more water if needed). When ready add pumpkin puree and heat through.
- Serve in edible pumpkin bowls and garnish with cranberries, apples and more thyme and pumpkin seeds.
- Wash fennel and slice into 2 cm thick slices.
- In a deep pot, saute the fennel with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt on high heat for 3 minutes, then add the remaining oil, bring to a boil then simmer on medium for 10 mins.
- Take off the heat and add fennel seeds whilst hot. Infuse overnight then strain using a sieve. Store the fennel-infused oil in a closed container in your refrigerator.