Pancetta, maple and beer oats? A swavoury sensation. A Millionaire’s Morning.
Coming in 3rd place at the Rude Health Porridge Championships 2018.
Recipe by Jordan Kelly-Linden (Foodism)
Prep time: 15 mins (plus overnight soaking of oats)
Cook time: 30 mins
250ml whole milk
5 tbsp of double cream
3 tbsp light brown sugar
A pinch of sea salt
6 rashers of pancetta
1 handful of pecans
5 tbsp of light brown sugar
Maldon smoked salt
To make the maple pancetta
1. Brush 6 rashers pancetta with maple syrup.
2. Bake at 180 degrees starting from a cold oven until crispy.
3. Chop 5 out of the 6 rashers up into little bits. Leave one rasher whole and then chop into shards to decorate the top of your porridge
To make the caramelised nuts
1. Lightly toast a handful of chopped pecans (leaving six nuts whole) in a dry pan. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add 5 tbsp sugar to the pan and wait for it to bubble.
3. When the sugar has melted, turn off the heat, add the nuts and stir.
4. Tip onto baking paper and immediately sprinkle with Maldon smoked salt and thyme leaves. Leave to cool.
To cook the oats
1. Soak 100g Rude Health barley oats in 250ml Wild Beer Co Millionaire chocolate, salted caramel and milk stout and 1 tbsp light brown sugar overnight.
2. Cook the oats (including the beer) with 250ml whole milk and a pinch of sea salt.
3. Once the oats are cooked, turn off the heat stir in 5tbsp double cream then stir through most of the chopped pancetta and then chopped nuts, leaving the six whole caramelised nuts to the side for decoration.
1. As soon as your oats are ready, ladle the oat mixture into two bowls.
2. Crumble over the rest of the maple pancetta.
3. Add three whole caramelised nuts to each bowl and arrange the shards on top for decoration.