A Filipino twist on an apple pie, but with native ‘buko’ young coconuts. If you ever find yourself in Laguna head to the Pahud sister’s Original Orient Buko Pie Bakeshop. It’s the Buko Pie homeland. And a classic.
MAKES: 1 Pie
TIME: 20 minutes
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
80g corn starch
50g coconut milk, full fat
200g young coconut meat
- Mix the flour with salt, 100ml Coconut Drink, coconut oil and fresh lemon juice.
- Let the dough chill for 15 minutes and divide in two equal parts, one for the top and one for the bottom.
- Take one part of the dough and place it on a surface and roll it out thinly to fit the pie pan.
- Place the dough on top of the pie pan.
- Roll the remaining dough to fit the top of the pie for later.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Mix the corn starch, coconut milk, remaining Coconut Drink and coconut meat. Warm for 5 minutes in a sauce pan.
- Pour the filling on the pie crust.
- Unroll the second crust dough over the filling.
- Brush some Coconut Drink on the crust.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing. You can style it with some extra coconut.