Grabbing second place at the Rude Health Porridge Championships 2018 were Sainsbury’s Magazine with their mouth boggling, coco-nutty concoction: coconut chai porridge with caramelised mango and banana.
Recipe by Tamsin Burnett-Hall (Sainsbury’s Magazine)
For the maple nut crunch
20g skin-on almonds, roughly chopped
10g pumpkin seeds
½ tbsp. maple syrup
½ tsp granulated or coconut sugar
25g dried berries and fruits (e.g. cranberries, golden sultanas, raisins)
For the coconut chai porridge
200ml coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
6 whole cloves
8 cardamom pods, seeds ground
2 tbsp granulated or coconut sugar
For the turmeric yogurt
A pinch of ground turmeric
½ tbsp. maple syrup
75g dairy-free coconut yogurt (or Greek-style yogurt if not DF)
½ tbsp. coconut oil (or butter)
½ tbsp. granulated or coconut sugar
2 small bananas (quite firm)
½ a mango, diced
3 cardamom pods, seeds ground
A handful of blueberries
A few coconut flakes, toasted if you wish
- Preheat the oven to 180C, fan 160C, gas 4. Mix the cashews, almonds and pumpkin seeds with the maple syrup, sugar and a pinch of salt. Spread out on a lined baking tray and toast in the oven for 6 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven, stir in the dried berries and fruit and leave to cool and crisp up.
- Mix the oats, coconut milk, water and spices together (don’t add the sugar yet). Leave to soak. In a small bowl, mix the turmeric with the maple syrup, then stir in the yogurt and set aside.
- When ready to cook, bring to a simmer, adding a small pinch of salt, and cook for about 12 minutes until tender and thickened. Sweeten with the sugar and scoop out the whole spices.
- While the oats are cooking, heat the coconut oil and sugar in a nonstick frying pan until melted. Halve the bananas lengthways and add to the hot pan, along with the mango. Fry for 1-2 minutes until caramelised. Sprinkle in the ground cardamom and toss to coat, pulling the pan off the heat.
- Divide the porridge between 2 bowls and spoon the turmeric yogurt on top. Add the caramelised bananas and mango, scatter on the nut crunch topping, blueberries and coconut to serve