Gingerbread with a spelty twist. Using Rude Health Spelt Flour gives your gingerbread men the perfect snap and a toasty taste. Need we say more?
Makes: 18-20 biscuits (depending on size) and approx 400 ml of caramel
Prep time: 25 mins +15 mins for chilling the dough
Cook time: 20 mins
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
25g fresh ginger grated
Zest of 1 lemon
130g butter or vegan margerine
150g raw cane sugar
1 tbsp molasses
3 tbsp runny honey or maple syrup
1 egg or 1 tbsp aquafaba/1 flaxegg
- In a large bowl or food processor, blend together the dry ingredients, ginger and zest.
- Add the butter and crumb together, you want the mixture to resemble bread crumbs. Next, stir through the sugar.
- Whisk together the egg, molasses and honey. Add this this to the biscuit mixture, mixing until it comes together to form a dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in parchment and place it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan) and line 2-3 baking trays with parchment.
- When the dough has had its time in the fridge, roll it out onto a lightly floured surface about ½ cm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the gingerbread shapes and place the cut outs onto the baking tray. Be sure the biscuits aren’t touching.
- Bake the biscuits for 11-13 minutes until deep golden.
- Allow them to cool for a few minutes on the tray before transferring them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Recipe by Nena Foster
You’re a rude elf when… there’s a queue under your mistletoe.