A porridge with all the (jingle) bells and whistles made with Rude Health Hazelnut Drink for a seriously decadent Christmas morning breakfast. Brandy prunes – does it get better than that?
Recipe crafted by Nena Foster
Makes: 4 bowls
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
800ml Rude Health Hazelnut Drink
200g Rude Health Sprouted Porridge Oats
70g raw cane sugar
1 tbsp water
¼ tsp sea salt
60g hazelnuts, skin on and toasted
600 ml water
Good pinch of sea salt
120g soft dried prunes
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
Juice of 2 and zest of 1 clementine (plus extra for garnishing)
30ml sweet sherry
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
4 tbsp brandy butter
50g dark chocolate, chopped into shards
- Start by making your praline, this can be done several days in advance. Line a baking tray with parchment and set aside. You will also need a heavy bottomed sauce pan, spatula and spoon.
- For the praline, put the sugar and water into the saucepan and heat over a low heat whilst stirring, to melt the sugar. Once the sugar has melted, turn up the heat to a medium high heat and allow the sugar to bubble for 2-3 minutes without stirring. When the sugar is dark and frothy, take it off the heat and quickly stir in the salt and toasted nuts.
- Pour the mixture onto the parchment and spread it into a thin layer. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Put the Sprouted Oats, water and a pinch of salt into a large saucepan and let sit.
- Put the prunes, honey/syrup, water, juice and zest into a saucepan and bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer until the prunes are soft and sticky. Pour over the sherry, stir and set aside.
- For the porridge, add the Hazelnut Drink and the vanilla to the pan of soaked oats. Bring the oats to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring as it bubbles. When the porridge is creamy and the oats are cooked through, turn off the heat.
- To serve, spoon the porridge into warm bowls, top with a tbsp of brandy butter, prunes, chopped chocolate, a few shards of praline and more clementine zest.
You’re a rude elf when… you spike your porridge with brandy butter.