Kale in waffles? It works. These kale and buckwheat waffles are made with nutty Rude Health Sprouted Buckwheat Flour, making them naturally gluten free. Top them sweet or top them savoury. The choice is yours.
Makes: 4-8 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20-25 mins
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp flaxseeds
95g coconut oil, melted + extra for greasing
40g kale, picked and shredded (leaves only)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add the wet ingredients and kale to a blender jug and blitz until you have a milky, green mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well and whisk until well combined.
- Allow the batter to sit for 5 mins so that flour fully absorbs the liquid. While the batter rests, heat your waffle iron.
- Grease the iron with a bit of coconut oil (repeating after each waffle), ensuring that both sides are well oiled.
- Once the iron is hot, ladle the batter into the mould according to the instructions provided with your machine and allow it to cook 4-5 minutes, or until crisp. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve with bananas, berries and yogurt or mushrooms, greens and eggs.
Allergy info: egg
Recipe by Nena Foster
You’re in rude health when… you waffle on.