Recipe by High Mood Food
If there was ever a porridge to take to a party it would be this one. Black barley, miso, kimchi, and cultured cashew cheese. A labour of fermented love but worth. the. wait.
50g Rude Health Porridge Oats
2 cup Rude Health Cashew Drink
50g Sprouted black barley
2 tbsp White miso paste
Kimchi (to make your own see below)
1 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp Sunflower seeds
1 tbsp Seasame seeds
2 tsp Honey
2 soft-boiled eggs
Cultured cashew cheese (to make your own see below)
Cultured cashew cheese
1 cup activated cashews, soaked
2 tbsp sauerkraut brine
Pinch of salt
¼ cup nutritional yeast
½ a nappa cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, sliced
100g daikon, chopped into matchsticks
3 spring onions, diced
2 tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
1 tbsp fish sauce
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp shrimp paste
1 tsp chilli powder
- To make the cultured cashew cheese, soak your nuts in water for 6-8 hours and then rinse them.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, brine, salt and yeast and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to your nut milk bag or cheesecloth and dehydrate on low for 24 hours or set on your counter for 36 hours.
- Transfer to a sheet of baking paper and roll into a log shape. Store in your fridge to age for 4-6 days wrapped in plastic wrap or sealed in an airtight container.
- Once it’s ready, transfer to a fresh sheet of parchment and enjoy within 4-5 days.
- To make the kimchi, add the cabbage to salty water in a large bowl or pot. Weight down the cabbage with a large plate so that all leaves are submerged and soak for 5 or 6 hours.
- Remove the cabbage and rinse in cold water, squeezing out excess liquid.
- In another large bowl, add the cabbage, garlic, ginger, carrots, spring onions, daikon, chilli powder, fish sauce and shrimp paste and mix well.
- Pack the mixture into a large airtight jar with a lid and let the kimchi ferment in a cool place for 3-5 days before serving or putting in the refrigerator.
- To make the porridge base, combine the black barley, Rude Health oats and miso with Rude Health Cashew Drink in a small pot and simmer on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until the oats have soaked up all of the liquid.
- While your porridge is cooking, mix the pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds in the honey and lightly toast them in a frying pan for a few minutes. Then remove them from the heat.
- In a separate pan, boil the eggs for 6 minutes for soft-boiled or longer until it is cooked to your liking. Remove them from the pan, wait until they have cooled and then peel and halve the eggs.
- Top the porridge with the toasted seeds, the boiled egg, a big spoonful of kimchi, a handful of sprouted alfalfa and a slice of cultured cashew cheese and serve.