Modern Baker is a renowned organic bakery in Oxford, baking a range of breads and cakes using only traditional grains, sourdoughs and natural sugars. We loved their innovative sourdough rye, cacao and orange porridge. Move aside, Terry.
200g organic rye sourdough (stale is absolutely fine!)
2 tablespoons cacao powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Pinch of salt
1 bottle bio-tiful organic milk kefir
- The night before – Mix the maple syrup and cacao with 300mls water. Pour over the rye bread and leave to soak overnight.
- When you are ready to make you porridge, blend the rye into a paste, add some hazelnut drink to loosen if your blender sticks.
- In a saucepan mix the rye paste with the oats and add 500mls of hazelnut drink. Put onto a low heat and stir until it begins to thicken. Add more hazelnut if needed.
- Once the porridge is at your desired consistency, turn the heat right down and add 100mls orange juice.
- Test for sweetness, and add maple syrup to taste. Take off the heat.
- Stir through the chopped hazelnuts and orange zest, leaving some to top.
- Put into bowls, drizzle over some kefir, scatter some chopped figs or any fruit you like and sprinkle over the remaining hazelnuts and zest.